At Funders Together, we make it a goal to share the work of funders across the country so you can learn what's working and adapt these strategies to your own community. One way we do that is through our Featured Members. Some are featured because of their innovative grantmaking. Others are featured because they are making connections and bringing new people into the conversation about ending and preventing homelessness. Still others are featured because they are challenging the very systems that allow homelessness to persist. In each case, our Featured Members are an integral part of the solution to homelessness.
The Houston affiliate of Funders Together to End Homelessness organized intentionally as a public-private funders collaborative in order to align efforts, build on each other's strengths, leverage resources and work at a systems level.
The mission of Funders Together Houston is both simple and powerful: build a local network of funders who are committed to reducing homelessness through strategic collaboration and grantmaking. In practice, this means that funders are learning with each other, promoting best-practice models in Greater Houston, and advocating for more effective policies.
Since its launch in September 2011, Funders Together has conducted educational site visits around the Houston area and formed two work groups: Advocacy and the Public-Private Funders Collaborative. After spending some time pooling resources, Funders Together Houston is beginning to fund pilot projects to build awareness about what works among community stakeholders and provide accessible housing with appropriate wrap-around services. And Funders Together Houston members are working together to rethink the system that allowed chronic homelessness to exist in the Houston area at all.
Funders Together Houston At-A-Glance:
including private foundations, corporations, faith-based groups, a United Way, and government agencies
who are committed to working together to end and prevent homelessness
Funders Together Houston Strategic Partners:
- One Voice Texas
- Greater Houston Community Foundation
- Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County
- Corporation for Supportive Housing
In 2013, Funders Together Houston ...
- Formed a steering committee to provide governance to the collaborative;
- Hosted five community events covering topics like how the faith community can help to end chronic homelessness and developing and financing permanent supportive housing to end homelessness;
- Conducted six site visits at area mental health units, transitional housing units for homeless youth and young adults, permanent supportive housing units, and more;
- Launched (through the Greater Houston Community Foundation) the Community Impact Fund to End Homelessness; and
- Funded the Houston Police Department's Homeless Outreach Team Video, highlighting a community policing initiative as an alternative to incarceration.