We're excited that you will be participating in the 2020 Virtual Funders Institute! We wish we could be together in person, but we're looking forward to the great content and conversations that will take place virtually on August 11-13. We've put together this guide to help answer any technology questions or concerns you might have.
If your question is not answered here, please reach out to Lauren Samblanet, Knowledge Management and Communications Manager, at [email protected].
Find the Funders Institute agenda here.
Technology Platform & Call-In Info
We will be using Zoom Meetings for all parts of our virtual Funders Institute. Registered participants will receive call-in information directly from Zoom for each day that they have registered. (i.e. If you registered for all three days of the Funders Institute, you will receive three emails from Zoom, one for each day.) Participants' call-in information is unique to them and unique to each day they've registered for.
Participants will receive emails from Zoom with their unique call-in information about a week and a half before the Funders Institute, as well as the night before each day and the day-of. We highly recommend using the links in the email from Zoom to create calendar events for yourself.
Logging in to the Funders Institute
- Please rename yourself in the participant list so that it reflects your first and last name and your organization.
Connect Phone Audio to Computer
- If you use your phone for audio in addition to joining via computer, please link your phone and computer by entering in your participant ID. You can find your participant ID in the pop up when you log in on your computer or by clicking the arrow (^) next to the mute/unmute button at the bottom of your screen.
Do I need to turn on my webcam? How do I ask questions or share comments?
- The first hour of each day will be a plenary conversation. You do not need to turn on your webcam for this conversation unless you are a speaker.
- Participants will also be muted upon entry. If you have questions for speakers or staff or comments you'd like to share with all participants, please use the chat box function.
- After each the plenary, there will be concurrent breakout sessions. We encourage participants to turn on their webcam for these breakouts and to take themselves off mute to ask questions and share their thoughts.
- Each breakout conversation will have a Funders Together staff person to assist with facilitation and technology.
How do I choose my breakout sessions?
Be on the lookout for an email that contains a link for you to select your breakout sessions or click here to select your breakout session preferences.
We will be populating breakout sessions in advance on the back end of Zoom so that participants do not have to worry about multiple links during the Funders Institute. If you do not fill out the breakout session form in advance, staff will reach out to follow up with you directly. If we still do not hear from you, we will assign you to a breakout session.
How will breakout sessions happen?
After the plenary, we will use the breakout rooms feature in Zoom for our concurrent breakout sessions. A few helpful tips about breakout rooms:
- There will be a Funders Together staff person in each breakout session who will introduce themselves and help facilitate.
- Your chat box becomes private to only people in your breakout room.
- If you want to leave the breakout session and join a different one, hit "Leave Room" in the bottom right. That will bring you back to the main session, and Stephanie Chan can help move you to a different room.
- After the breakout sessions, we will bring everyone back together for a few closing remarks.
Tell me more about the networking reception on Wednesday, August 12.
On Wednesday, August 12 starting at 4:30 ET (3:30 CT / 2:30 MT / 1:30 PT), we'll have a virtual networking reception. We'll kick this reception off with a poetry reading by Philip Metres, followed by remarks and fun, generative conversation.
All participants, regardless of which day(s) they have registered for, are invited to join the networking reception. All registered participants will receive an email from Zoom with unique call-in information. Please feel free to add this to your calendar or ignore it based on your ability to participate.
Will the Funders Institute be recorded?
Plenaries will be recorded and made available to Full Members of Funders Together after the event. Full Members will need to be logged in to the Funders Together website in order to view the recordings. If you are not a Full Member of Funders Together and would like to learn more, please contact Stephanie Chan, Director of Membership and Programs.