Funders Together to End Homelessness is seeking to hire our next Director of Membership and Programs. You can view this job description as a PDF.
Posted April 29, 2022
About Funders Together to End Homelessness
Our Mission: Funders Together to End Homelessness will mobilize its members to utilize the voice, influence, and expertise of philanthropy in ways that will advance lasting solutions to ending homelessness, including addressing its underlying causes like structural and racial inequities, and helping create policies and systems that center people with lived expertise.
About Funders Together: Funders Together to End Homelessness is the only philanthropic membership organization devoted to ending homelessness in the United States. We serve as a vehicle for members to be part of a broader movement and bring greater financial and intellectual resources to end homelessness and move toward housing justice, and we support the field of philanthropy by providing critical learning and networking opportunities around best practices and innovation to ensure investments are maximized.
COVID-19: Funders Together is an entirely remote organization, and all staff work from home unless traveling for work. Due to COVID-19 several of our in-person events have shifted to a virtual format, though we plan to slowly resume travel and in-person convenings in 2022. Employment with Funders Together is conditional on full COVID-19 vaccination, with exceptions for documented medical exemptions or religious accommodations.
Director of Membership and Programs Job Description
This position reports to the Chief Strategy Officer and leads the membership strategy and activities (recruitment, retention, and engagement) and programming strategy and development for the organization.
- Serve as a point of contact for members and keep apprised of their interest, activities, challenges, and work and find ways for Funders Together to support and advance their goals in a mutually beneficial way.
- Engage current members to deepen interactions with Funders Together and other members through member benefits and services. Support members by understanding their goals and objectives within Funders Together and for their community and customize support and resources based on member needs.
- Research and scope out information about members and other funders working in homelessness, housing, or intersectional issue areas. Develop and execute a recruitment strategy for new members and convert existing Basic Members (non-dues paying) to Full Members (dues-paying).
- Lead efforts to track, assess, and report on member engagement.
- Oversee and manage the onboarding and orientation process for new members.
- Manage the Membership and Programs Coordinator, who currently supports the membership renewal process and membership administrative tasks.
We conduct two signature in-person events a year (during COVID-19 this temporarily shifted to a virtual format, and in 2022 we anticipate doing hybrid events), 1-2 webinars every month, and 1-2 smaller funder calls per month.
- Create annual programming strategy that meets the interests of our members, share timely and emerging work in housing and homelessness, and pushes philanthropy to learn about and advance housing and racial justice.
- Design and execute programming, including webinars, funder calls, convenings/events, and other relationship and network-building activities.
- Develop partnerships with other national and regional philanthropy serving organizations (PSOs) to design joint programming and engage members across interest areas or geographic regions.
- In partnership with the Chief Strategy Officer, Director of Networks, and Director of Communications, develop and promote online resources (e.g. recommendations, case studies, blog posts) to guide and influence philanthropy.
- Conduct outreach to members to engage them to participate in programming, serve as speakers, and/or author content.
Qualifications and Compensation
- Strong commitment to racial justice, housing justice and the mission, vision, and values of Funders Together to End Homelessness.
- Knowledge of homelessness, human services, or housing systems.
- Experience creating and facilitating programming for a philanthropic audience and adapting programming to both fit in-person and virtual formats.
- Self-starter with significant initiative, intuition, autonomy, and drive. Able to work independently with little need for close management.
- Personable, relatable, and relationship-oriented; must work well with all types of people and be able to bring out the best in those around them.
- Thoughtful and insightful, with the ability to anticipate, appreciate, and reconcile diverse and complex perspectives.
- Ability to adapt to changing or ambiguous circumstances smoothly.
- Experience with Salesforce and other software and systems including NationBuilder, Zoom, and MailChimp.
- Experience identifying new revenue opportunities, forecasting revenues, managing budgets, and developing business models.
- Experience working in a small, virtual team that spans US time zones.
- Management experience a plus.
- Given the remote nature of this position, staff must be able to maintain their own office and work schedule during core hours, which are currently between 10am – 4pm ET (with flexibility for candidates from other US time zones). Candidates must be based in and able to work in the United States.
- This is a full time, exempt, remote position. When it is safe to travel, this position requires domestic travel roughly 30-40% of the time and the ability and willingness to work occasional nights and weekends.
Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer
Compensation: $90,000 - $100,000, plus generous benefits including:
- 3 weeks of paid time off (increases to 4 weeks after 2 years), 12 paid holidays, and 15 paid sick days
- Paid parental leave and short- and long-term disability leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (80% employer paid), as well as flexible spending accounts (health, dependent care, and commuter)
- 5% employer contribution to 403b beginning the month following one-year work anniversary (employee can contribute immediately)
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume as PDFs to Stephanie Chan, Chief Strategy Officer, at [email protected] with “Director of Membership and Programs, First and Last Name” in the subject line.
Funders Together to End Homelessness is an equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the recruitment and retention of a diverse and inclusive staff. We encourage people with lived experience of homelessness and housing instability to apply.
Due to the anticipated volume of applicants, we will only be contacting applicants we wish to schedule a phone screening with.