Wednesday, September 13, 2023 | 1:00pm ET, 12:00pm CT, 11:00am MT, 10:00am PT
During our 2023 Funders Forum in Oakland, CA, attendees expressed an interest in learning more about different strategies to advance housing justice. One of these named strategies was the decommodication of housing.
The LA Housing Movement Lab amplifies movements of housing justice by crafting strategy, tactics, analysis, and narratives to transform housing in Los Angeles and guarantee that all poor, working class and people of color live in high-quality, safe and affordable homes within stable, healthy, resilient, accessible and vibrant communities. As long as our homes are treated as commodities, there will be no security for the families of Los Angeles. The primary function of our homes should not be financial gain for the few; our end goal is securing the guaranteed right to housing for all that is free from market forces and profit-seeking from the housing industry. To reach our goal we know we have to change the way our society approaches housing and homelessness, and we are working together to do so.
Join this webinar to learn more about what decommodifying housing entails and how organizers are working in coalition to push for the policy changes needed to guarantee a right to housing for all. Funders will leave this webinar knowing:
- How decommodification of housing will help prevent and end homelessness and housing instability;
- The strategies and tactics organizers are employing to advance this goal, and
- Ways philanthropy can think about supporting this work in their own communities.
- Azhar Khanmohmed (he/they) – Network Coordinator – LA Housing Movement Lab
- Brady Collins – Policy & Research Manager (he/him) Koreatown Immigrant Workers Alliance (KIWA)
- Carla De Paz (she/her) – Director of Organizational Strategy – Community Power Collective (CPC)
- Cynthia Strathman (she/her) – Executive Director – Strategic Actions for Just Economy (SAJE)
- Laura Raymond (she/her) – Director – ACT-LA
- Oscar Monge (he/him) – Associate Director– Tenemos Que Reclamar y Unidos Salvar La Tierra (T.R.U.S.T. South LA)
Please RSVP for this webinar using the button below. You will receive your unique Zoom link once a Funders Together staff person has approved your registration.
Please note: Participation in Funders Together programming is limited to foundations, United Ways, corporate giving programs, philanthropy-serving organizations, and members of Funders Together. Government funders and staff at organizations where grantmaking is not the primary function are not eligible to participate. If you have any questions about your eligibility to participate, please contact Tia Smith, Director of Membership & Programs
This webinar will take place via Zoom. Registration will be open until September 13 at 12pm ET / 9am PT. If you do not receive your Zoom link or have technical issues logging into this call, please reach out to Jack Zhang, Programs and Communications Manager. This webinar will last 75 minutes.