November 1, 2018 | 1:00-2:30 pm EST
This webinar will unpack the concepts that are most critical to advance racial equity within organizations. Participants of the 90-minute webinar will explore the distinctions between diversity, inclusion and equity; the different forms of racism; and how race, place and class influence desired community outcomes. These definitions and distinctions are essential for productive organizational engagement around issues of race and equity.
- Angela Glover Blackwell, The Curb-Cut Effect. This article is useful for recognizing that strategies that are instituted for one segment of the population can be useful for others as well, underlining that we should not think of what’s designed for others as a zero sum game.
- Click here to see slides from the webinar. Please do not share these slides.
- Click here to see notes capturing key takeaways from the webinar.
- The Color of Wealth: The Story Behind the US Racial Wealth Divide, by Meizhu Lui
- When Affirmative Action was White, by Ira Katznelson
- So You Want to Talk About Race, by Ijeoma Olou
- White Rage, by Carol Anderson
- Changing Race: Latinos, the Census and the History of Ethnicity, by Clara E. Rodriguez
- Racism Without Racists, by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
- The New Jim Crow, by Michelle Alexander
- We Were Eight Year in Power, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The History of White People, by Nell Irvin Painter
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism, by Robin DiAngelo
Podcasts and Film